Maggie Holmes Round Trip Mini Album | Jo Boland
Hey, it’s Jo here with a mini album made from the new Maggie Holmes Round Trip collection. This is Maggie’s first travel collection and it is quite lovely. You can find a YouTube unboxing video of the items I ordered here. It has a vintage pastel palette with a mix of travel icons and designs with florals, geometrics, and generic designs. The collection can be used for lots of subjects, not just travel.
I’m off on holiday in a few days, my first flight since before the pandemic. I therefore thought I’d make the base of a travel mini album ready to fill with photos, journaling and ephemera on my return home. I will share the completed album at the end of the month.
Making the album cover
The album design is based on an album I made back in October last year with the Paige Evans Bungalow Lane collection. You can find the blog post here. Please note there is a process video for creating the album cover, video link below.
- Cut 3 pieces of cardboard (front and back cover, plus a spine). Covers measure 4.5″ wide and 6.5″ tall (x2) and spine measures 1.25″ wide x 6.5″ tall.
- Patterned paper cut to 12″ wide x 7 .75″ tall for the outside of the album. (I used the On The Road paper)
- Position and glue the three pieces of cardboard in place on the reverse side of the patterned paper. Leave a small gap between the spine and the cover to allow it to bend without ripping and at least a 1/2″ overlap of patterned paper around the outer edges.
- Cut away a triangle of patterned paper from each of the four corners.
- Snip a triangular notch on each side of the spine.
- Fold over the flaps of paper and crease with a bone folder.
- Glue flaps to the inside of the covers and spine.
- Cut a piece of patterned paper to 9.75″ wide x 6.25″ tall for the inside of the album. (I used the Seasonal paper)
- Glue this paper in place section by section (adhere it to one cover piece first, then fold the cover towards the spine and glue to the spine, then fold towards the other cover and glue the last section in place. You don’t want to glue this inner piece completely flat as this will put too much stress of the outer paper when the covers are folded in to form the album.
Creating the embroidery thread spine
- Using embroidery thread, or similar (baker’s twine can be used), wrap this around the spine until you have the same number of wraps as you do inner pages. I had 12 inner pages. Count the strands on the inside of the album before cutting the thread. Tie the ends around the strands on the outside of the album spine (see video).
- Add charm or tassels if you like and tie in place. I used a metal heart charm from the Paige Evans Bungalow Lane collection.
Making the inner pages
- Simple pages – cut patterned paper to 8.5″ wide x 6.25″ tall. Fold in half and crease with a bone folder tool.
- Pocket pages – cut patterned paper to 8.5″ wide x 8.5″ tall. Score 2.25″ up from the bottom edge, fold up, crease and open out. Score and fold in half down the centre and crease. With the page folded in half, snip a triangle from the lower crease to the bottom edge. Make sure that the pocket side of the paper is not upside down when the flaps are folded up.
- Open out and fold up the bottom flaps. Use thin double sided tape to attach the straight sides of the pockets to the outer edges of the page. (see photo below)
Putting it all together
- Decide the order of the pages. (I alternated simple pages with pocket pages)
- Insert the first page under the first strand on the inside of the spine until the thread sits along the central crease.
- Repeat with the rest of the pages.
- Embellish the front cover with pieces from the collection. (I used a chipboard sticker and a tag cut from the Tickets paper onto which I typed my title).
- Add in extras, such as pockets and envelopes. I used pieces from the Stationery Pack, a chipboard sticker and a tag cut from the Caravan paper.
- The Caravan and Explore papers are cut a part papers which I completely cut up so that I have ephemera pieces ready to use when I come to filling in my album.
And these six papers for the simple inner pages – Abroad, Adventure, All Packed (will definitely be fussy cutting some of the images on this paper), Let’s Go, Tickets (have fussy cut the remaining pieces for ephemera) and World Traveller.
You can find the full Maggie Holmes Round Trip collection here.
I have put together a process video and album flip through on both mine and the Hey Little Magpie YouTube channels, link below.
Thanks so much for stopping by,
Instagram – @jobo_creates